Longing to set up a creative business, take this quiz to investigate your survival chances
Scoring : If more than one statement is true use the one with the highest score.
Results:I f your answers are mostly
Ones Don’t do it
Twos and threes It’s worth a try
Threes Go for it, you have a real chance of success
Do you have any savings which you are prepared to lose?
None or less than £1000
- Over £5000
Do you have another source of income?
- Yes, but it doesn’t cover my living costs
- Yes and it covers my living costs
Are you motivated by money?
- Yes it is important to me, I equate my worth with my earnings
- It is not important to me, but I am fearful about risking my financial security
- Not particularly, I am ready to make real economies to make it work
What capital outlay does your business need?
- I need to buy the materials and equipment
- I have most of the equipment but need to buy some materials
- I only need to spend to replace what I sell
How much time can you spend building your new business ?
- While the children are at school
- Evenings and weekends
- As much as I want
What suffers from the time you intend to dedicate to your business?
- Less time with my family
- Social life
- Nothing suffers significantly
Where do you most want your business to be in five years?
Making real money and employing staff
Financially secure and outsourcing some aspects
My skill widely appreciated and a good home/work balance
Why are you starting out on this route?
I need a job
I think I would like to work for myself
This is all important to me
Do you have a place to work?
I am going to rent space
I will manage from home to begin with but the room has to be dual use
- I can have a dedicated room/outhouse at home
The location of your workplace
- I live in a very isolated location
- I have a limited market for my work on my door step
- I live in a location with plenty of suitable outlets for my work
Which of these describes the attitude of those around you?
This is something I want to do but it mystifies those about me.
My friends and family are really supportive
I have several self-employed creative friends and family
Which of these describes your previous experience or training?
I have an arts background
I have been employed in this field
I have a business or sales background
Which of these is true about your health?
I have had mental health issues
I have some health issues
I am really healthy with lots of energy
How do you see your skills?
- My friends and family tell me I am really good
- I am very skilled at my craft
- I am hugely creative
Which of these describes your work style?
- I am collaborative
- I am a bit erratic and bossy
- I am determined and organised
Give yourself an extra 3 score for each of these skills you possess
- Social media literate
- Very computer literate
- Good sales person
- Highly organised
- High tolerance of repetitive tasks
Which of these describes your personality?
- Bit of both
Do you drive?
How did you do?
I am going to try it and see what my score would have been when I started my enterprise …
not every question exactly fits but I scored :
1 one, 5 twos and 12 threes so that would have made me mostly threes which is fine as it did work out for me.
You might argue with some of my rankings, so write me a comment and I will tell you why I ranked as I did. Also write me a comment if you think I have missed out an important factor. If you can convince me, I will change the quiz.
I haven’t put anything about what your actual enterprise is going to be because it isn’t the idea that is really important but how you implement it. If it’s a remarkably terrible idea, or you are totally lacking any skill, then you will probably fail, however well you do in the quiz.